Tips for How to Seal Your Own Juvenile Court Records in California

You might be surprised to find out that your juvenile court records in California are not automatically sealed when you turn 18. In many situations, unless you take action, those records may be available for viewing without your consent by employers, or other prying eyes.

Under the provisions of Section 781 of the California Welfare and Institutions Code, anyone may “Petition” the Juvenile Court to “seal” the records of their juvenile cases and law enforcement contacts.

We have a Recommended self help form for an Application and Petition to Seal Juvenile Records in CA.


The Petition can be made after you have reached your 18th birthday or five years after your last contact with law enforcement.

You can hire an attorney to do the work for you. The bad news is that they want money to do it.

The good news is that the process is a simple, paperwork driven process that you can do yourself if you cannot afford to pay an attorney to do it for you.

You have to file a separate Petition for each county where you want records sealed. This article is focused on doing it after your 18th birthday.


To make it simple, a Petition package generally consists of: 1) a 1 page application coversheet; and 2) a Petition which basically states that the Petitioner has stayed out of trouble and requests sealing.

Some, but not all courts have a local Petition Form for Sealing Juvenile Records that you can download and use. The Alameda County Superior Court Probation Department is a classic example of a court that has a local Alameda only form for Sealing of Juvenile Records. Check your county superior court’s web site for a local form. Look in the “local forms” or Juvenile Department sections.

If the court does not have a local form for the Petition package, you can write your own Petition.

We offer a legal self help form for an Application and Petition to Seal Juvenile Records. We designed to work in all California counties. It is editable as you see fit. It can be used as a sample to help your understanding even if you use a local form.

A written Petition generally consists of:

1) a Notice / Statement that the petitioner wants sealing of records under Welfare & institution code 781;

2) a list of facts stating that the Petitioner has stayed out of trouble;

3) a statement that the Petitioner is no longer within the jurisdiction of the Juvenile Court;

4) a list of all court departments the Petitioner had cases in;

5) a list of all law enforcement agencies in the county that the Petitioner had contact with; and

6) signature and statement under penalty of perjury that the entire Petition is true and correct.

If you want to see how to put it together, get our Self Help Petition to Seal Juvenile records, which I wrote for general use in all CA counties, or Review the Alameda County local form for a Petition to Seal.

Once completed, the Petition need to go to 2 places for each county: 1) the Probation Department for the County, Attention to the Record Sealing Clerk; and 2) the Juvenile Division Superior Court Clerk’s Office.

It is the court clerk that sets the hearing and court dates. It is the probation department that responds to your petition in court. It is best to take the Petition and file it in both places in person. But it can be done by mail.


The processing and filing fee for the Petition will vary from county to county. Some Counties will have one fee, some counties will have 3 fees. Alameda County for example, charges a Petition Application fee of $150, and an extra $50 if you want to seal your traffic court records at the same time. We have seen other counties who dont charge the $50 traffic court sealing fee, because they claim you cant seal traffic court records.

Incidentally, if you run into one of those counties where they claim that traffic court records cannot be sealed – my opinion is that they are plain wrong. If you have to, show them a copy of WI Code 781 and/or a copy of the Alameda County Petition that actually charges extra for traffic court sealing.

Ok. Sorry about the rant. Back to the article.

You have to call the Probation Department in advance to determine: 1) application fee; 2) is there a separate fee for traffic court records (like there is in Alameda?); 3) Probation Department’s number for your case(s); 4) date the juvenile court’s jurisdiction over you ended (date of end of probation usually).


Take your Petition to the court clerk in person and ask the court clerk to file it. Going in person is best. Take 2 copies for the Court Clerk (1 for filing; 1 for you to take home with a “file” stamp on it).


Filing in person is best. Take 2 copies. Get proof you filed with the probation department. If you mail it, make sure you send the correct application fee(s).


Once a Petition to Seal Juvenile Records is filed, the court may set a hearing date to review the evidence provided by you and the probation department and District Attorney. The judge may also set a hearing to interview you.

You may “waive”, or give up the right to a hearing on the matter if the judge does not require one. If you wish to waive a hearing, you can say so in the Petition. You can state that you are willing to “Waive a Hearing”, and allow the court to rule on the paperwork. If you do that, the court may not set a hearing at all.

If the court sets a court hearing, put it on your calendar and go in person, on time.

After the court reviews all of the information in the Petition and any presented at the hearing, the judge will make a ruling on the Petition.

If the court denies your Petition, you can reapply at a later date. Usually when a Petition is denied, it is because the Probation Department or DA has presented evidence that the Petitioner is still involved in the behavior that lead to the court cases to begin with.

The court may also deny a petition if the Juvenile records involved certain serious crimes that we will not list here, but crimes such as carjacking will jack up the chances of getting the petition granted. Look up the exceptions to sealing juvenile records if you have to in the statute.

If you are currently being sued in a civil court for damages related to any of the juvenile incidents, (like being sued by the driver you hit in small claims or big claims court), you are disqualified.

If you are not sure if your Juvenile records qualify for sealing, file the Petition anyway and see what the judge says. There is no penalty for filing and getting denied.


Most Petitions to Seal Juvenile Records are granted. Once granted, the court will issue a Court Order to seal your records. That order will then be sent by the court clerk to all courts and law enforcement agencies you list on the Petition as persons who have possession or access to your records.

Because of this, it is important that you list all law enforcement agencies (such as the city police, sheriffs and the university police?) and all court divisions (such as traffic, juvenile, family division, etc) on the Petition. You have to tell the court who should get the order, and you have to make it easy for them.

You should get and keep safe a copy of the court’s order to seal records once it is issued. Once you have that, you can truthfully state that you have no prior juvenile criminal record at all (in that county).

Questions? Leave a Comment. We try to answer all the good ones.

If you purchase our self help form for an Application and Petition to Seal Juvenile Records, we try to answer all legit questions about how to use it. It comes with EZ instructions in WORD format. Buy it. Close the book on old trouble.

Questions? Leave a Comment.

About Attorney Christopher Dort

Public Interest Attorney. CA State Bar #196832. Licensed to practice law in California 1998, and then the US Federal District Court in 2000. Civil Litigation Trial Attorney (Insurance Defense Firms) 2000-2003. Private practice 2003 - present. First Solo Criminal Jury Trial 1998 (Santa Cruz County). First Civil Jury Trial 2002 (Orange County). Santa Cruz County Public Defenders Office 1996-1999 (law clerk). BA in Politics from UC Santa Cruz, 1995. JD, University of California, Hastings, 1998.
This entry was posted in Alameda County, Background Checks, California Legal Help, Criminal Records, Going to Court, Juvenile, Traffic Court Forms and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

* Copy This Password *

* Type Or Paste Password Here *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>